Google’s Daydream View headset starts shipping to customers Thursday, and Google has started rolling out an update to Google VR services for Android to make sure that owners of Pixel phones can use their Daydream instruments on day one.
But what variety of virtual truth experiences will you absolutely be competent to have?
Google say dozens of apps are anticipated to help its Daydream platform, and now some of the first of these apps are establishing to hit the Google Play retailer.
Some new apps that will be available at Daydream VR launch include:
- CNN VR presents a VR-style video player that lets you watch both 2D videos on a virtual big-screen display and 360-degree videos that you can explore from any angle
- Google Street View lets you explore remote (or nearby) locations captured by Google’s Street View cameras
- Fantastic Beasts is a companion app to the upcoming Warner Brothers movie set in the Harry Potter universe, allowing you to “meet and interact with beasts.”
- The Guardian VR takes you on virtual tours of locations including the London sewer system.
- The Turning Forest is an interactive story from the BBC.
- Mekorama VR is a puzzle game that lets you solve levels using a Daydream headset and controller.
- Hunters Gate VR is an arcade/shooter game for VR headsets.
We’re also expecting Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and other video streaming companies to launch Daydream apps in the coming weeks and months, and we should also see more news apps from companies including the New York Times and USA Today as well as additional games including Need for Speed: No Limits, Gunjack 2, and Danger Goat.